'Peaceful protests don't work!' Indigenous actor is overcome with emotion during racism discussion before delivering a powerful monologue about being black in Australia

Nothing works.  Australian governments, State and Federal have tried everything to bring average black lives up to white standards but in almost all ways most blacks remain at the bottom of the heap.  If the angry guy has something to suggest that has not been tried already, everyone would like to hear it

He himself would appear to have found a niche in white society so it is understandable that he is angry that not all Aborigines have done so. Rage is good theatre but it will do nothing useful


An Aboriginal actor delivered a powerful speech about racism in Australia during an emotion-charged episode of Q&A last night.

It comes three days after a 40-year-old Aboriginal man died after he collapsed at a medium security prison in Western Australia.

'It's still happening right now, to this day. Last Friday, a brother boy died in Western Australia. We're still talking about it now. It's a denial of what's happening right now,' Wyatt began.

'These institutions are killing us - it's just a continuation. The whole time, since 1770. It's the same thing. We're demanding justice. And those protests in America - they're not protests, they're demanding it.

'There are riots and people are talking about "order". Who cares about order if there's no justice? We want justice. I'm sick of talking about "order". It doesn't work. Being peaceful [and] peaceful protests - don't work.'

Wyatt later recalled how he was first searched by police at age 10 or 11 and said he hasn't trusted authority since.

'I was terrified. [But] that becomes fear, anger. When I see things around the world and I see my brother boys in my own country - how do you think I'm going to feel? I'm going to be scared from the get-go,' he said.

Wyatt was among tens of thousands of Australians who took to the streets for the Black Lives Matter mass protests on Saturday.

He admitted his lawyer's number was written on his arm in permanent marker when the protests were originally deemed illegal before the court ruling was overturned at the 11th hour.

'Who cares about the pandemic? The pandemic is Indigenous lives are dying. Black people are dying,' Wyatt said.

'It's been happening for thousands of years. That's the pandemic. That's why people are marching.

'That's why people are out there. That's why we're angry. And we're sick of it. We're tired of it. I'm tired of it. I don't know how else to put it.'

The program ended with as much emotion as it began as Wyatt delivered a powerful four-minute monologue from his play City of Gold about the struggles of being indigenous in Australia.

'Sometimes I want to be seen for my talent, not my race. I hate being part of some diversity angle,' he said.

'It's not your fault you have white skin, but you do benefit from it. You can be OK. I have to be exceptional. I mess up, I'm done. There's no path back for me. There's no road to redemption. Being black and successful comes at a cost.'

The monologue concluded with Wyatt calling for the end of deaths of Aboriginal inmates in custody.

'Black deaths in custody - that s**t needs to stop. Never trade your authenticity for approval. Be crazy. Take a risk. Offend your family. Call them out,' he said.

'Silence is violence. Complacency is complicit. I don't want to be quiet. I don't want to be humble. I don't want to sit down!'

Wyatt has since been inundated with overwhelming support from viewers.

SOURCE 

1 comment:

  1. The left and their war on reality continues.

    ReplyDelete

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them