A Cry of Despair

I have just received the following email. I thought people here might like to read it.

“I am a fifteen year old girl and I am currently attending my last year in school. I think this country/society has gone mad in what I nickname the PC world. I do not think that people realise where it went wrong. While talking to people you realise that they do not like political correctness either but are too afraid too say anthing because of the politically correct society we live in.

The society does not realise how it affects children and young people. In school it is very difficult for anyone to say a comment or express an opinion without getting accused of being racist, prejudice, homophobic etc. The political correctness issue has made other issues such as racism or any form of xenophobia escalate and become impossible to deal with. For example in school I have been called ‘milky bar...white sugar etc...’ but if i were to call someone ‘chocolate bar...’ etc I would be punished harshly, quite rightly, but the other indidvidual would not. They may be told off but I being white would face harsher punishments such as facing suspension from school.

You cannot state another person’s colour or religion without being accused of being a racist. Even though I am only fifteen, I know that I am not old enough to have faced all of life’s experiences, but I have seen how society has changed over the past few years. When I was younger there was never a problem, my parents, aunts, uncle and their friends (who all happen to be in there fifties) have all stated that it has never been bad as it is now and I agree. I am not a racist person and I do actually believe, whether people agree with me or not, that people no matter what their colour or religion deserve equal rights. I have many friends from different races and religious backgrounds and have never faced any controveral issue with them. I realise that because I am young people will not take notice of what I have to say but society has to realise that it has to change its ways or our way of life may become ‘corrupt’. A bit extreme I know but young people are the future and if it does not change we could be stuck in this politically correct world forever.”

Comments? Email John Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them