Jesus - A dirty word now

A student who said she was told she wouldn't get her diploma unless she apologized for a commencement speech in which she mentioned Jesus has filed a lawsuit alleging her free speech rights were violated. Erica Corder was one of 15 valedictorians at Lewis-Palmer High School in 2006. All were invited to speak for 30 seconds at the graduation ceremony. When it was Corder's turn, she encouraged the audience to get to know Jesus Christ.

Corder had not included those remarks during rehearsals. Corder's lawsuit, filed Monday in U.S. District Court, said Principal Mark Brewer told her to prepare a public apology or she would not receive her diploma. She was still allowed to graduate. The lawsuit said Brewer would not give Corder her diploma until she included a sentence saying, "I realize that, had I asked ahead of time, I would not have been allowed to say what I did." Corder received her diploma after complying. Source.

MK - Wow, it's like a dirty word now, you know like she mentioned the name of some pedophile as some sort of hero or something. I'm sure the school would have let her slide if she had been speaking about Mohammed or something. Whilst it probably wasn't the most appropriate time, I'm sure the audience was mature enough to accept or reject her call. Once again, it's not like she was praising Adolf Hitler or Joseph Stalin or something. I hope you can take em' to the cleaners Erica, I wonder where the ACLU is on this, perhaps some civil liberties are more equal than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them