Time to put the hammer away

After I put that chest of drawers together the other day, I had the big bed to tackle. Boy am I glad I left that one till last, this was a much bigger and complex job, requiring plenty of patience, head scratching, some experience and more patience. This is how it started out, click the pictures to enlarge.


To be accurate, that was about a quarter way through, the thing came in two flat-packed cartoons that were bloody heavy, it was literally in pieces and the only things that didn't require assembly were the bottom, top, middle part and the side panels. Those were like that, I just had to put them together to make the above frame.


Some of the parts and the tools needed, the main tool really was the star screwdriver, the rest were really just playing supporting roles. I found the first screwdriver was a bit too long at the pointy end, so I dug out the one from the car and that worked perfectly. The long yellow one was one I picked up from one of those cheap Chinese shops, $2.50. I was initially skeptical of the thing because of the price, but you'd be surprised at how difficult it is to get a screwdriver from a regular store, so I was forced to get this one. But it worked fine, no complaints from me.


This is about 3/4 of the way there, starting to take shape nicely. I gotta admit though, it was a struggle getting this far, I stuffed up the drawer rails along the edges 4 times. Yes, 4 times, I kept using the wrong screws, in my defense, there were tons of screws, but a lot of them were the same diameter, just different lengths, so it took me a lot of re-screwing to finally figure out which were supposed to fit there.


And there it is, finally done. I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out, two of the drawers weren't quite aligning as good as I'd hoped, but that was resolved with a swift kick. See, nothing like a swift kick to fix things up, and it works in other areas too. I keep telling you people, that's how we should treat liberals, just kick them.

Oh and that mattress, deceptively heavy, it took me a lot of heaving, pushing and shoving to get it on top there, I didn't know latex was that heavy. I'm hoping it's as good as Ikea claim it is, guaranteed for 25 years they say and it comes with a 3 month exchange policy, but I sure hope I won't have to drag it off and out the house.

So that's the end of it, now my only problem is, what the heck do I do with myself now that I have nothing else to put together.

1 comment:

  1. You mean a Phillips head screwdriver don't you, MK? :)

    Well done on putting it all together. I'm generally too lazy, although I did buy a couple of cheap flat pack bookshelves last year because I was spending too much on amazon.com and had run out of room to stack the books in.

    ReplyDelete

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them