Handgun Ban a Joke...

...I know because I used to own handguns.

Today is the day PM Paul Martin is supposed to put forth his proposal for a handgun ban in Canada. Like the bloated gun registry, the goal of the ban is to combat gun violence in this country. Well I have news for Martin, like the bloated gun registry, the handgun ban will not deter crime or gun violence. I can suddenly hear criminals all over the country saying, "My gosh, we better get rid of our illegal handguns cuz we'll get in b-i-i-i-i-g trouble if we don't." Give me a break. Are Liberals that naive? Of course not. This is simply smoke and mirrors, an attempt to lull the voting public into yet another false sense of security while ignoring the issue.

I'll give you an example. Martin will supposedly announce that an exception will be made for bona-fide gun collectors. You know what? That law already exists. In Canada, handguns are currently classified as restricted weapons meaning the only way a private citizen can own one is by being either a collector or a sport-shooter who is a member of a recognized and licensed gun club. I know because I used to be involved in the hobby about 10 years ago. At that point in time I owned about 10 handguns, 15 rifles and a half dozen submachine guns. I had memberships in several clubs. Whenever I purchased a restricted weapon this is the routine I had to follow:
  1. I had to be in possession of a FAC or Firearm Acquisition Certificate (a requirement to purchase any firearm)
  2. I had to be a member in good standing of a recognized and licensed gun club
  3. Before I could take my newly purchased restricted gun home from wherever I bought it I had to go to the local police detachment (at that time the RCMP) and have them issue me what is called a Permit to Transport. I had to supply the police with the particulars of the gun, ie - serial number, caliber, etc in addition of course to my name and address and the name and address of the seller. After the permit was issued, I had to transport the gun from the place of purchase to the police station so that it could be inspected. Once satisfied, the gun was released into my possession to take home. Sometimes the process could take days. Now, the only place I was allowed to take my gun was from home to a club I had membership in and back home. I might add I was also compelled by law to take the shortest route and any detours or stops along the way were prohibited. That means no stopping for coffee on the way home. I also had to have my Permit to Transport in my possession.
According to Martin's proposal the only significant difference will be that members of licensed gun clubs will no longer be able to purchase or possess handguns but those with "collector" status will be unaffected. How will this deter gun violence? Both groups are subject to investigation by the RCMP prior to any permits issued. This proposal, like the gun registry, only penalizes legitimate gun owners and sport shooters - it does nothing at all to address crime and violence and any claim to the contrary is merely smoke and mirrors.

cross-posted to Rite Turn Only

Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them