Christ's last lesson

"Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do"

At the very end of his life Jesus said the above.  For him to say that displayed a remarkably insightful heart.  He thought of their motivations as well as their deeds and in thinking of those motivations could not condemn their deeds.  It is a lesson to us all.  We need to forgive because we may not know what was/is driving the other person. Even under the most grievous provocation, we must keep that in mind. It is a most powerful teaching indeed.  Could we have forgiven in his situation?

Forgiveness can be so powerful.  It is particularly good at restoring relationships.  I have been married and divorced four times.  But there has never been any anger in me towards the ladies concerned.  We have remained on good terms to this day.  I didn't consciously forgive any of them anything.  I just did not judge or condemn their motivations at all in the first place.  I accepted that they had a motivation that was right in their eyes.

I gained so much by being forgiving.  And the wonder of it is that it is contagious. Any anger that they had towards me faded away too.  Christian teachings work.


1 comment:

  1. I agree, they do work. Forgiveness enables the good will in man, for others, to flow unhindered, forgiveness allows good will to be free-flowing.

    In my 20s I had my first big lesson about forgiveness. I asked for everything to be revealed and it was. I remember the sting in my solar plexus. If not for forgiveness there would most likely be hate where there is now friendship. I do also think that forgivness nullifies hurt where it is allowed to pass through.

    If there is anything that will set our fallible selves free, it is forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them