-- R.G. Menzies
LIBERTARIAN/CONSERVATIVE DIGEST AND COMMENTARY FROM AN ACADEMIC PSYCHOLOGIST in Brisbane, Australia. My academic publications are widely read
Click on the title of any post to bring up the sidebar
Causes of climate change?
The rather childish presentation below was apparently written by Mohamed Alhwaity and appeared in "The Conversation", a webzine that claims to offer "Academic rigour, journalistic flair". If only it did! What I have excerpted below is the core of an article titled: "How scientists know climate change is happening". I have added a few basic notes below to show that they DON'T know that
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) presents six main lines of evidence for climate change.
* We have tracked the unprecedented recent increase in the amount of atmospheric carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases since the beginning of the industrial revolution. Big deal. That only matters if we know the sensitivity of climate to CO2. It looks like zero or not much more
* We know from laboratory and atmospheric measurements that such greenhouse gases do indeed absorb heat when they are present in the atmosphere. Aren't they supposed to REFLECT heat? Mohamed hasn't even got his Warmism straight.
* We have tracked significant increase in global temperatures of at least 0.85°C and a sea level rise of 20cm over the past century. And why is such a trivial temperature rise a problem?
* We have analysed the effects of natural events such as sunspots and volcanic eruptions on the climate, and though these are essential to understand the pattern of temperature changes over the past 150 years, they cannot explain the overall warming trend. Svensmark has shown a strong solar effect. Now confirmed by experiments at CERN
* We have observed significant changes in the Earth’s climate system including reduced snowfall in the Northern Hemisphere, retreat of sea ice in the Arctic, retreating glaciers on all continents, and shrinking of the area covered by permafrost and the increasing depth of its active layer. All of which are consistent with a warming global climate. But the Antarctic is what matters and it has been COOLING
* We continually track global weather and have seen significant shifts in weather patterns and an increase in extreme events all around the world. Patterns of precipitation (rainfall and snowfall) have changed, with parts of North and South America, Europe and northern and central Asia becoming wetter, while the Sahel region of central Africa, southern Africa, the Mediterranean and southern Asia have become drier. Intense rainfall has become more frequent, along with major flooding. We’re also seeing more heat waves. The statistics indicate FEWER extreme weather events
According to the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) between 1880 and the beginning of 2014, the 19 warmest years on record have all occurred within the past 20 years; and 2015 is set to be the warmest year ever recorded. And those "warm" years have differed from one-another by only hundredths of a degree, which is not statistically significant. The figures in fact show a plateau, not a rise
By JR on Monday, December 07, 2015
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Big deal. That only matters if we know the sensitivity of climate to CO2. It looks like zero or not much more BULLSHITReplyDelete
Aren't they supposed to REFLECT heat? Mohamed hasn't even got his Warmism straight. TRUE BUT CO2 ABSORBS INFRARED RADIATION BEFORE EMISSION
nd why is such a trivial temperature rise a problem? BECAUSE IT IS AVERAGE GLOBAL TEMPERATURES THEY ARE REFERRING TO YOU IDIOT; IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.
Svensmark has shown a strong solar effect. Now confirmed by experiments at CERN. I SEE - AS SOON AS THERE IS ANY EVIDENCE THAT IT IS NOT MAN MADE, THEN THERE IS SOME GLOBAL WARMING AFTER ALL.
But the Antarctic is what matters and it has been COOLING; IT HAS COOLED BEFORE FOLLOWED BY INCREASES IN TEMPERATURE, IT IS NOT ALL THAT MATTERS
The statistics indicate FEWER extreme weather events NO THEY DON'T! IF YOU ARE REFERRING TO THE AMOUNT OF HURRICANES THAT MAKE LANDFALL IN THE US THEN YOU ARE AN IDIOT.
And those "warm" years have differed from one-another by only hundredths of a degree, which is not statistically significant. The figures in fact show a plateau, not a rise EXPLAIN HOW IT IS INSIGNIFICANT. HAVE YOU JUST THOUGHT "THAT LOOKS LIKE A SMALL NUMBER'
The only thing you have is the fact that you hate leftists and the fact that the world might need some fixing. The masses of data that comes out as evidence for GW is immediately dismissed by you while any single piece of data that question GW is unquestionably correct.
There is always going to be contradictory evidence about the climate and people and all scientific studies should be scrutinised. But you are not in any way a scientist, and you don't have the thinking skills to add any decent to the debate.
I don't know if significant man made global warming is occurring or not. But I do know this:ReplyDelete
That every elitist (ie. leftist/socialist) hates the current western society around him or her, and with that hatred, holds a two pronged belief, 1. of an envisaged ideal society, and 2. of him/her self as being a beholder and conducer of that envisaged ideal society. There exists a gap or absence of dynamic between those two beliefs. There also exists a gap between the envisaged ideal society and the reality of society as it is. That condition is called cognitive dissonance.
The mind likes to be rounded, not uneven with protruding incompatible beliefs, so it automatically arises a filler between protruding incompatible beliefs, which rounds it out. Or put another way, the mind does not like dissociated dots of belief, so it joins them with lines of explanation. These fillers/lines/bridges are dynamic beliefs in change or transitional events that reconcile the incompatibility between dissociated beliefs, and between such beliefs and reality. These dynamic delusions of transition arise automatically to enable the mind to cycle itself comfortably without having to stop at the gaps. They arise to heal the fragmented mind, like scar tissue heals a cut.
A horizontal delusion arises to bridge and reconcile the gap between the reality of society and the envisaged ideal society, which delusion is a vision of societal change from how society is to the envisaged societal ideal. And a vertical delusion arises to bridge and reconcile the gap between the belief in the ideal society and oneself as the beholder and conducer of that envisaged ideal society, which delusion is a vision and conviction of one’s role and purpose towards fulfilling the ideal society.
This automatic arising of a delusion of change and purpose, as if by a life of its own, with no conscious effort from the individual, and its unifying effect on the mind, enabling it to cycle without stopping at the gaps, and the satisfying effect on the ego, means that to the individual concerned the delusion feels most real, convincing and obvious, sometimes even divinely inspired.
All lefties, whether social, economic, political, religious or spiritual type lefties, all believe in an ideal society, in themselves as beholders and conducers of that ideal, and naturally have delusions of coming societal transition and their role in that transition. All this arises from a hatred of reality, and depending on the type of lefty and makeup of his personality depends the type and makeup of his ideal society and the kind of transition and personal role his delusion foresees, but the pattern is the same in every lefty.
Whether dangerous global warming is occurring or not, belief in it and the societal change it promotes, feeds leftist delusions, which in turn confirm the belief in global warming, like an energising loop.