1). For a start, I think that POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WATCH is a must-read today for the coverage borrowed from a BRITISH newspaper of the subhuman black-on-white crimes in Tennessee that American newspapers have tried to ignore. The British report went up on 16th but there still seems to have been nothing like it in the U.S. mainstream media.
2). Retirees and Vets Allowed to Salute Flag
"Traditionally, members of the nation’s veterans service organizations have rendered the hand-salute during the national anthem and at events involving the national flag only while wearing their organization’s official head-gear.The National Defense Authorization Act of 2008 contained an amendment to allow un-uniformed servicemembers, military retirees, and veterans to render a hand salute during the hoisting, lowering, or passing of the U.S. flag. A later amendment further authorized hand-salutes during the national anthem by veterans and out-of-uniform military personnel. This was included in the Defense Authorization Act of 2009, which President Bush signed on Oct. 14, 2008.
Maybe I am just an old fogey but I am an ex-Army man so maybe I have a right to be bit grumpy about this. I think it is a decay of standards. One has to have approved headgear on to salute whilst in the army and I see no clear reason why that should be relaxed elsewhere. What is wrong with a hand on heart for unhatted civilians in such situations?
3). Silvio prefers to party
The King of political incorrectness again:
"Silvio Berlusconi was accused of spurning a chance to help the Middle East peace process last night after apparently snubbing the King of Jordan in favour of a party with his old friend Vladimir Putin.
Opposition politicians in Rome demanded to know why the Prime Minister had cancelled a meeting with King Abdullah, choosing instead to fly to St Petersburg to discuss energy projects between Russia and the EU — and, it was alleged, to attend a private party in honour of Mr Putin’s 57th birthday on October 7. La Repubblica newspaper reported that Mr Berlusconi would “carry fine wines” as a gift for Mr Putin.
So Jordan is more important than Russia??
4). A Doubletalk Interpreter
I wonder can you recognize who uses such doubletalk?
* Action (as in "now is the time for action") — big government.
* Balanced and sustained (as in "chart a course for growth that is balanced and sustained") — involving more big government.
* Choice — the opportunity to select big government.
* Competition — we choose who wins.
* Compromise — accepting my position after I give a big speech.
* Cost savings — $900 billion in new spending.
* Create or save (as in "create or save 4 million jobs") — destroy or lose, as in 2 million jobs.
* Engagement — a combination of unilateral concessions and America-bashing abroad.
* Fact (as in, "these are the facts" or "to state a fact") — my opinion.
* Honest debate — agreeing with me.
* Incorporate (as in "incorporate ideas from Republicans") — include in the early stages of a proposal and then have Pelosi and Reid drop like a hot potato behind closed doors in the final version.
* Irresponsible (as in "irresponsible behavior") — constitutionally protected.
* Misinformation — facts, when presented by our opponents.
* Neutrality (as in "net neutrality") — favoring one side in a dispute, especially when that side has supported your campaign and provided a senior White House staff member.
* Necessary (as in "necessary war") — not really that necessary, at least when it comes to backing up your words with required manpower and funding and standing up to your liberal base.
* Negotiations without preconditions — the position I took vis-à-vis our enemies during the campaign, then denied taking, but am now trying to force on the Israelis.
* Nobody (as in "nobody disputes [these facts]") — no liberals or members of the mainstream media.
* Non-profit (as in proposals to establish tax-favored, non-profit status for failing newspapers) — making official a condition that has existed unofficially for years.
* Nothing (as in "nothing in this plan will require you or your employer to change the coverage or the doctor you have") — everything.
* Plan (as in, "the [health-care] plan I am announcing tonight") — a really good speech.
* Respect (as in, "respects the rights of the Israelis and Palestinians" or "the Iranians and North Koreans") — overrun (Israelis) or elevate beyond reason with no expectation of reciprocity (everyone else).
* Responsibility (as in the "responsibility" to buy health insurance or America's "responsibility" to confront global warming) — big government telling people or nations things they have to do. (See "Action" above.)
* Scare tactics — see "Misinformation" above.
* Security (as in "stability and security" in health care or "true security for all Israelis") — you're toast.
* Stand by our friends — desert our friends in order to "engage" with our enemies. (See "Engagement" above.)
(For more postings from me, see TONGUE-TIED, DISSECTING LEFTISM, GREENIE WATCH, POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WATCH, GUN WATCH, EDUCATION WATCH INTERNATIONAL, IMMIGRATION WATCH INTERNATIONAL, FOOD & HEALTH SKEPTIC, SOCIALIZED MEDICINE, AUSTRALIAN POLITICS, EYE ON BRITAIN and Paralipomena . List of backup or "mirror" sites here or here -- for readers in China or for everyone when blogspot is "down" or failing to update. My Home Pages are here or here or here. Email me (John Ray) here.)