Some part of the barrel Movie Reviews: Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama

Something a little different today. Today's title is not a piece of exploitation cinema, nor was it one the "video nasties" or some sort of dodgy Italian piece - so it doesn't quite qualify for a Bottom of the Barrel Movie Review. Not sure where in the barrel it fits in but fit in it does.

This one takes me back.

I remember the first time I laid eyes on the cover of this film, back as a young 12/13 year old cruising the horror section of the local video store. Needless to say it interested me in a few ways...


It would be a few more years before I would get around to seeing it, both because of that stupid R rating (which it totally did not deserve) on it and because I had to wait until only one of the two guys I knew who worked there was on shift. They both knew me but one would still ask me ID to rent R rated films - what a prick! But I digress... Anyway, it was probably better I had to wait since those several extra years gave me the ability to better appreciate a film like Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama.

One sorority is having its initiation which involves spanking babe's butts and spraying them (the babes, not their butts) with whipped cream. Two nerds and a fat guy sneak into the house to watch, take in the customary (for these sorts of horror films) shower scene, and get busted. To finish off their initiation, two sorority babes must go and break into the bowling alley of the local mall and steal a bowling trophy and the three guys are ordered to go along.

So our nerds and babes break in to the bowling alley and run into the "tough chick" who is already there robbing it of her own accord.

Anyway, a trophy gets stolen and dropped, and it unleashes a pimp talking, wish granting imp who was imprisoned inside the trophy. He grants some wishes which backfire on the person soon after granting, turns the head sorority sister's offsiders into "demons of a sort. Demonic stamina but without the spellcasting abilities", and generally behaves like an evil little imp.

There is a whole back story as to how the imp came to be in the bowling trophy but I will leave that to you to find out. I will say it is quite creative for a film whose budget was probably in the tens of dollars, and the imp itself is not a bad piece of puppetry.

I know how all it sounds but it the film does actually have a charm. There are some "great" bits of stupid, over the top dialogue throughout the film that one can't help but chuckle at, much like some the lame jokes the imp tells, and when combined with your typical character stereotypes, huge helpings of classic 80's cheese and the fact the film never takes itself too seriously and is played strictly for laughs, it really all does go to make this a great film to watch with your mates... and beer. Lots of beer wouldn't hurt your enjoyment of it either. If you like your cheesy 80's horror movies, you could certainly do worse than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them