By JR on Wednesday, February 01, 2012
America's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is a heavily politicized body and because of that they are keen to expunge any "incorrectness" from their ranks. If they were really a scientific body they would welcome diversity of views in their ranks and reject any notion of correctness.
But they are getting nervous. They obviously think that some of their employees may not know the true gospel or (horrors) not agree with it. So they have circulated a catechism to all their employees in the form of a questionnaire with the "correct" answers marked. The correct answers are also accompanied by scriptural (IPCC) references to support each answer. The catechism has been "leaked" to Climate Depot and thence to other skeptics so I reproduce it below, minus the scriptural references. The "correct" answer is starred
1. Which of the following statements about global climate change is true?
* Most climate scientists agree that global climate change is happening
2. Most scientific studies that have looked into the cause behind the increase in global temperature over the last 50 years indicate that it is.
* Caused mostly by human activities
3. Which of the following best describes the relationship between climate and weather?
* Weather describes short-term conditions; climate describes long-term conditions
4. Studies of natural records such as tree rings and layers of ice in glaciers:
* Provide a relatively consistent picture of how global temperature has changed over time
5. Over the last 10,000 years, during the time humans developed the ability to raise crops, Earth's climate has been:
* more stable than previous periods
6. Which of the following processes have been identified as the most significant causes of increasing global temperatures over the last century? Check the top three
* Burning of coal, oil, and natural gas to produce electricity and heat buildings
7. Indicate if the following statements are True, False, or you Don't Know.
A. If the amount of energy put out by the Sun decreased, Earth would get cooler
B. Global climate change will eventually eliminate the differences between summer and winter.
C. Climate scientists have a solid understanding of the basic physical processes that control Earth's climate system.
D. Today's computer-based climate models have successfully projected the trend and magnitude of observed global temperature for the last century.
E. As the ocean warms, its waters expand, raising the elevation of the sea's surface.
F. Melting of glaciers and ice sheets on land is expected to have little effect on global sea level.
G. Temperature measurements of Earth made from satellites are generally consistent with temperatures measured by ground based instruments.
8. Climate scientists' concern about rising levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere relates to carbon dioxide's
* ability to absorb and release heat energy
9. Since 1750, when the Industrial Revolution began, the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has increased
* significantly - a change of about 40% (from 280 to 392 ppm)
10. Which country below currently emits the most carbon dioxide per person? Note: This question is about per person emissions rather than total emissions.
* United States
11. Which of the following are among the expected impacts of global climate change? Check all that apply
* Heavier downpours when it rains
* Changes in the ranges of wildlife and plants
* Increase in coastal flooding due to sea level rise
12. Indicate if the following statements are True, False, or you Don't know
A. As a result of global climate change, the warmest places on Earth are likely to see the greatest increases in temperature.
B. Over the last decade, the U.S. has experienced about twice as many record-breaking hot days as record-breaking cold days.
C. Most of the heat added to Earth's climate system over the last five decades has been absorbed by the ocean.
D. Federal agencies are already working with communities to help them prepare for extreme weather and climate impacts
E. Corals in warm, tropical seas around the world are thriving as the ocean waters around them get warmer.
13. Recent research shows that the acidity of ocean waters is increasing. This phenomenon, called ocean acidification, is
* a result of carbon dioxide being absorbed by the ocean
14. By monitoring conditions within and above the Pacific Ocean, climate scientists have identified a pattern called the El-Ni¤o Southern Oscillation. This phenomenon:
* can influence global weather patterns for several seasons