A Word Israelis Use

By AR - I learned a new word today, thanks to the Sydney Morning Herald: "terrorist" - a term Israelis use to describe Palestinian attackers. Yeah, apparently they found an explosives belt at the scene and witnesses describe "flesh flying in the air". I was struggling to think of an appropriate word - meshuganah, schlemiel, schmuck, putz... nothing seemed quite right. But you can rely on those canny Israelis - they have a word for everything. Terrorist! It probably comes from Hebrew. Yiddish, maybe?

Some more information about "terrorists": Egyptian police said they arrested as many as 17 Palestinian would-be terrorists who took advantage of the gap in the international siege of the strip to slip into the Sinai region, planning to cross Egypt's unfenced desert border with Israel. "Would-be terrorists". Oh, I get it. Prior to blowing innocent bystanders to bits you are a "would-be terrorist". My vocabulary is improving.

Update - AR just sent me an email, the link has been pulled, it happens to me quite often, what was written last night is sometimes gone by morning, so you'll just have to take his word for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them