UWS draws the line at mosque

"THE University of Western Sydney has knocked back a request that it build a mosque for its Muslim students.

"We said, 'We are a secular university, we don't do these kinds of things'," said Sev Ozdowski, UWS director of equity and diversity, and chairman of the first national conference on Muslim university students, held this week at UWS."
The item in The Australian drew quite a few comments. I just love this one:
Peter N of Sydney 8:31pm September 05, 2007
"I was born overseas and I came here 25 years ago as an orphaned refugee from a war-torn country in S/E Asia and became state ward. I 'd like to tell you all that how much I have come to appreciate the culture, the values, the tradition and the history of this country. This country has given me too much ! When I was at high school the taxpayers paid Austudy to live on, when I went to uni- actually, UWS-Nepean, the Australian taxpayers were generous again paying my Austudy; and when I came out and couldn't get a job for a while, the Australian taxpayers again paid unemployment benefits for me; in my own country I would have slept on the street and begged. And I say again, the Australian taxpayers through the Aust Govt granted us a 60 years lease to build our Buddhist temple for one dollar per year in Western Sydney. When our young kids in our community couldn't cope with school work, the Aust govt funded weekend classes for them to catch up. Then it was not the end, they even installed our language in the year 12 HSC system. The assistance we have received from you - the generous Australian people - can not be described. I can't thank you all enough until the day I die, and I say this on behalf of my own community of 20,000.

Currently, I run my own accounting practice and I don't complain a bit about paying tax back to this country. Thanks to the high education (BCom, MBA) which I got almost for free ! Tell me any other places on earth which I could do this ? Maybe not many ! UWS is part of my life. Even these days when I am not busy I would escape the sress by driving to the local campus in Penrith and sit for hours reading in the library.

And when I look around I have seen other ethnic communitites have their own worship places as well within their own communitites. Isn't that enough ? Please be reasonable. Greed is the cause of suffering. We have enough space to worship outside in the local communites, but save the uni campuses for employment training opportunies. No monks, no Sheiks, no pastors, no priests, no rabi on uni campuses. We have been given enough freedoms already to live here and be part of the Australian society. We must know that this is Australian society, not a Muslim, not Buddhist, nor Hindu society, but predominantly Christian Western society with its own values, traditon and history. The Australian system is too good to be wrecked. I say finally: if you don't subscribe to the values, just go back, including my own newly-arrived relatives !"
good on you, Peter N!

1 comment:

  1. I don't see how having a place of worship in a university is being greedy? Maybe asking the university to build a whole new structure is a big ask, but im sure that even the uni just gave the permission for one to be built, and then external sources are willing to fund the project.

    Now im not asking for a big place of worship. A simple room will suffice. From my experience in my campus, there were several rooms that were unused. These were then allowed to be shared by muslim and christian students for places of worship and so on. Of course these have greatly contributed to the university experience, making it even more fulfilling.

    Moreover most universities usually have alot of space free. So why cant it be used to make the university experience better? Personally i think his post is not empathetic, as it tries to force his values upon others. I say this because from what he writes it seems like his form or worship is not time specific.

    For me as a muslim i must prayer 5 prayers, during specific times. While i can delay these for the sake of study, or pray virtually in any clear space if forced, id really rather have a small dedicated space! Hence you can clearly see how vision of university is really not at all thoughtful, or that multicultural.

    So lastly, when the resources (one or two free rooms) are almost always available, why cant it be used to make the student university experience better?

    ReplyDelete

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them