"An Establishment of Religion"

A July 4th reflection

I doubt that there is any document that has been more argued over than the U.S. Constitution. So I hesitate to say anything more about it. But the prohibition therein of "An Establishment of Religion" has in my view been so wilfully misinterpreted by SCOTUS that I feel I have to say something.

And what I want to do is simply to put the provision into the context of the time in which it was written. Below is a very brief excerpt that does that. It was written about a time just before the Declaration of Independence:

"While Virginia debated whether Anglicanism should be recognized as the only established state religion (Witherspoon was vociferously against it), Presbyterians and Congregationalists argued for religious freedom".

Source


In other words, the provision was designed only to avoid the situation in England, where the government made one Christian denomination the only "correct" one. To say that the provision demands a separation of church and State is stretching it beyond all recognition.

(For more postings from me, see TONGUE-TIED, EDUCATION WATCH, GREENIE WATCH, POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WATCH, GUN WATCH, SOCIALIZED MEDICINE, AUSTRALIAN POLITICS and DISSECTING LEFTISM. My Home Page. Email me (John Ray) here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them