Golliwogs only a Little Bit Incorrect in Britain



The police seized them but then had second thoughts and gave them back!

"Police in Herefordshire say they will not be charging a store owner after removing three toy golliwogs from his shop window. The toys were removed from a display at Pettifer's in Bromyard after someone complained they were offensive. Officers said the items will be returned but store owner Donald Reynolds will be advised about the sensitivities of displaying them. Mr Reynolds said he would continue to sell them. He said he had not received any complaints about the toys, which had been on display for two weeks, before they were seized."

Source


I am not really up on the U.S. golliwog scene but I had the impression that they are absolutely verboten there. But in any case, given the skyrocketing rate of real crime in Britain, shouldn't the police have something better to do than this farce? I wonder where the gollies were made? China, no doubt.

Update:

One reader tells me that there are NO golliwogs in the USA. Sad. I remember having a golliwog myself when I was a little kid and I quite liked it. It certainly never occurred to me that they were a caricature of an African.

(For more postings from me, see EDUCATION WATCH, GREENIE WATCH, POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WATCH, GUN WATCH, SOCIALIZED MEDICINE, AUSTRALIAN POLITICS and DISSECTING LEFTISM. My Home Page. Email me (John Ray) here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them