Layton Bluffing?

As much as I'm chomping at the bit to give Paul Martin and his Liberals the heave-ho and hold a Christmas election I understand Stephen Harper's reluctance to introduce a motion of non-confidence. We all know that Handsome Jack has said his NDP will no longer support the minority Liberals but where have we heard that before? It wasn't very long ago Jack Layton denied any alliance with the Liberals was in the works then promptly voted with those Liberals defeating a Conservative non-confidence motion. So who can blame Harper for being a little gun shy this time around. We had a unique situation in Canadian politics whereby the leader of an obscure party (that would be Jack Layton and the NDP) appeared to dictate the terms of the new federal budget as he wrestled numerous concessions from Paul Martin in exchange for his support during the critical budget vote.

Of course Harper wants to avoid a repeat. He has said he will not allow a Conservative motion to be used as a bargaining chip by the the New Democrats. If we knew for sure Handsome Jack could be taken at his word the decision to introduce a non-confidence motion would be a no-brainer. But we know such is not the case. I don't trust Jack as far as I can throw him. I admire him, or his ability to play politics but I don't trust him. The call by Harper is gutsy and controversial and surely will be debated until the cows come home but I think it is the right call - for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them