Another One Bites the Dust

The final report by Judge Gomery into AdScam hasn't even been released yet but the Liberals are at it again. How many more scandals will it take before Canadians wake up to the fact that we are being governed by the most corrupt and incompetent federal government this nation has ever seen? In an effort to get a handle on the boiling TPC scandal David Dingwall resigned as head of the Royal Canadian Mint.

Unless you've been shacked up with Osama in a cave somewhere you know that Dingwall has found himself embroiled in controversy for two reasons:

  1. his failure to register as a lobbyist for Toronto-based Bioniche Life Sciences Inc
  2. and for racking up more than $740,000 in expenses last year
It is alleged that Bioniche, a pharmaceutical company, had agreed to pay Dingwall $350,000 for his assistance in securing nearly $15 million in federal grants under the Technology Partnerships Canada program. The only problem is according to the program's own rules the hiring of lobbyists is forbidden. So how did he get around it? He didn't register. Of course he claims this is all nothing but a clerical error.
"If there was a registration problem or other technical compliance issue on one of the contracts, then that is entirely my responsibility."
Yeah well what did you expect him to say? I'm yet another Liberal who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar? Not likely.

Then of course there's the little matter of the nearly one million bucks in expenses tallied by Dingwall and his aides last year. You can see a breakdown of the figures on several Blogging Tories member sites.

Here is a transcript of his resignation letter.
Earlier today I sent a letter to the prime minister and to the chairperson of the board tendering my resignation as president and CEO of the Royal Canadian Mint.

During the summer months, I had a rare opportunity to take some time to reflect on my career with my wife, my family, and some close friends.

I told them that I would more than likely be leaving my position as CEO some time over the next number of months in order to pursue a number of projects. I am fortunate that I have the health and quite a number of years left in me to devote to a new chapter in my career.

Central to my decision was the achievement of the goals that I set out in consultation with the board of directors and the government of Canada. I have spent the past two-a-half years devoting many long hours to the challenges and responsibilities of turning around the Royal Canadian Mint, with a strong, dedicated team of executives and hard-working employees. Together we have accomplished many things:

-Early in my tenure, we were able to stabilize the organization's financial situation.

-In 2004, we returned the Mint to profitability with a pre-tax profit of $15.9 million and paid a dividend to the government of Canada of $1 million.

-We have significantly grown the business; in 2004, Mint revenues increased by $70 million. Moreover, year-to-date August 2005, revenues increased $35 million over the same period 2004.

-In 2004, we returned $64 million in seigniorage to the shareholder, the government of Canada.

-Through the adoption of lean enterprise, we have increased productivity and focused on our customers.

-And we have maintained an open dialogue and positive relationships with our two unions.

Recently, there have been some media stories regarding the work I undertook on behalf of two technology companies seeking investment from Technology Partnership Canada.

I will simply say that I worked very hard on each and every one of the contracts and did, to the best of my knowledge and ability, comply with all aspects of the act governing the government relations business. If there was a registration problem or other technical compliance issue on one of the contracts, then that is entirely my responsibility.

With regard to the issue of my expenses, all of the expenses were related to my responsibilities and each of them were disclosed to the board and will stand up to scrutiny as completely appropriate to my role as president of the Mint.

I have asked the board to strike an independent committee to review all of the expenses and I will abide by any findings the committee may have with regard to their appropriateness.

However, given the profile that these stories have, I certainly do not want to detract in any way from the important work of the Mint. So, rather than wait the few months to make the move to the next stage of my life, I am taking this opportunity to leave. I do so with pride in the work we have achieved together.

I will always cherish the friendships and the honour of serving the government as the president of the Mint and I look forward to a new chapter in my life.
I'll bet he looks forward to a new chapter in his life. Any bets that he re-surfaces as a Senator?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them