thinking about stuff

I finally realized why I’ve been having so much trouble blogging on a regular basis these days. When I first started writing I did so as a way to gather my thoughts and sift through my feelings concerning all that was happening in the world.

Having watched my country suffer through the September 11th terrorist attacks and not one but two wars there was certainly no shortage of emotions to sift through. Once this process began there seemed to be no end to the constant flow of new information and new issues to question and come to terms on where I stood regarding them. Believe it or not I don’t walk the party line and every issue is independent to me and deserves its own serious thought.

There is a saying that goes “knowledge is power” but it seems to me that sometimes the more you learn about this world and how it works the more powerless you can end up feeling. After all what good does it really do to know that after the Tsunami it is feared that many children were abducted and sold to sex traders, and what good does it do to know the names of the men, women and children that are abused and executed in Iran, and what purpose does it serve to watch the numbers rise of the raped, the murdered and the displaced in Darfur? I could go on and on with that list but I know you get my point.

I suppose you could say that I became overwhelmed with all that I can not fix no matter how much I may desire too and because of that I stopped thinking about what is important to me and instead just began reacting to what others have said.

Every issue seems to be an argument waiting to happen and we seem unable to find unity on anything. Our entire world is in crisis and yet we are all divided in every imaginable way. We are right versus left, men versus women, religious versus atheist, and religion versus religion. Even the Tsunami has taught us that no matter how good our intentions there will be those who cannot see past our differences and allow us to come together.

I had to ask myself why bother anymore and strangely the answer was almost immediate. I can’t fix the world, and most likely nothing that I do will ever really make a difference to anyone but me, but I have to keep trying because there is no way to not know what you already know and there is no way to close your eyes to what they have already seen.

And so I will write - admittedly not well, but I will still do so to pay tribute to every Soldier that has fallen in Iraq and Afghanistan, for every woman that prepared herself for death before she went out to cast her vote, for every child that has suffered under the Mullahs of Iran, for every Iraqi that has been labeled as a collaborator for the coalition, for all those who desire freedom, for the shattered families of Beslan and for every person imprisoned or persecuted for their religion.

"Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don't stand back and let them die. Don't try to disclaim responsibily by saying you didn't know about it.
For God, who knows all hearts, knows yours, and He knows you knew! And He will reward everyone according to his deeds."
Proverbs 24:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them