Indonesian Death Toll: 210,000

This is just appaling:
BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - An official document posted here says that nearly 210,000 people in Indonesia are dead or missing from the Dec. 26 tsunami, a death toll that appears to be far higher than officials have reported publicly. Rescue workers think even that number may be low.

The larger Indonesia toll would bring the total of dead and missing from the tidal surge across the Indian Ocean to nearly 272,000, ranking the tsunami as the fifth or sixth deadliest natural disaster in about 250 years.
I can't even begin to fathom the extent of this. It's completely beyond me. The numbers are so great that it can't be processed. When I think of my wife, however, and how it would completely destroy my life to lose her, I gain a small, small insight to the horror of this event.

This isn't just an historical tragedy. It's so horrible that it's in a class of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them